California Genealogical Society: Blog

Recent Posts

12 April 2012

The California Genealogical Society on Pinterest



My daughter introduced me to Pinterest late last year and my immediate reaction was a negative "Oh no, not another social networking site." I finally did take a look but I didn't see how Pinterest would be of value to the society and I felt we had already had a good mix of social media presence with Facebook, Twitter and Yelp.

Last week I took another look after noticing how many non-profits and genealogists had taken the plunge. I set up a page and some boards and did a little experimenting.




It's important that a social networking site provide unique value before it becomes part of our messaging and Pinterest provides a new service I've been thinking about for quite awhile. Every month we run a member-submitted ancestor photograph in the eNews and I've been wanting to create an online repository of the photos with links back to the archived newsletter for easy access to the original story. Our Pinterest "California Ancestors" board is exactly the solution I've been looking for.




Not all the photos have been pinned yet but I think it looks great already. Please take a look and let me know what you think!


Copyright © 2012 by Kathryn M. Doyle, California Genealogical Society and Library

2 comments:

Michelle Goodrum said...

Finally a use for pinterest I can truly relate to. Looks fabulous.

Lisa S. Gorrell said...

Pinterest looks interesting. Shouldn't you add a photo of CGS library to the places we love to research in?