California Genealogical Society: Blog

Recent Posts

08 July 2009

Looking Toward the Future

The best part of the recent Southern California Genealogical Society Jamboree (for me) was meeting many of my fellow genea-bloggers face-to-face. We've been reading each others' blogs and getting to know one another on Facebook, but nothing beats real flesh-and-blood contact.

The youngest (by a few decades) of my new friends is Elyse Doerflinger, author of Elyse's Genealogy Blog and The Graveyard Rabbit Student.


Elyse and me.


Elyse has written a wonderful article Genealogy Societies Need To Look Towards the Future, which is full of sage advice and her honest opinions.

Think about what your average genealogist looks like: retired. People do not live forever (or stay in good health forever) and therefore, if societies truly want to survive, they must find ways to reach the next generation. Without reaching for the next generation, then all of their research, all of their hard work, and many of these societies are going to disappear.

Elyse goes on to inform her readers of her membership in the Youth Genealogists Association, an online genealogical "society" whose aim is "to provide opportunities and information to youth interested in their family history." It's heartening to know that there are kids out there who actually like genealogy!

I encourage our members to read Elyse's words of wisdom and let me know how they think CGS is doing. Are we providing opportunities for youth to be involved in our society? Are we reaching out to the next generation?

One thing does concern me. I checked our society website and was disappointed to find that the California Genealogical Society does not offer a student membership rate. You can be sure that I'll be bringing this up to our membership committee!

Update 7/11/09: Elyse has added a follow-up post with more suggestions and feedback. I'm happy to report that the California Genealogical Society and Library is doing several of the things that Elyse mentions!


3 comments:

Elyse said...

Yay, Kathryn!

You guys definitely better be getting a student rate on your membership fees, because as soon as you do, I'll be joining!

It was so wonderful to meet you at the Jamboree!

Tina Sansone said...

You made me wonder if my society offers a student discount. I think they do, but make sure I'm going to find out!

Love your blog.

Tina

Kathryn Doyle said...

Elyse,
Yes! I'm on it. Our board meets on Wednesday and I'll bet most (if not all) will support a student membership rate. I'll keep you posted. BTW, nice follow-up blog. I'm updating this to include a link to it.

Tina,
Thanks for stopping by! I enjoyed reading Sheri's reports about your trip together. Yes, we need to keep our societies up-to-date. Keep me posted about what you learn.