California Genealogical Society: Blog

Recent Posts

25 November 2007

About me


Welcome to the California Genealogical Society and Library Blog - a Web log for and about the society - its members, programs and events.


I'm Kathryn Doyle and I am the writer and editor of this blog and of the California Genealogical Society and Library electronic newsletter – the CGSL eNews.

I am a great believer in genealogical society membership. I belong to three county societies in Pennsylvania where my forebears lived (Blair, Indiana and Huntingdon) and to the Ulster Historical Foundation in Belfast, Northern Ireland – my Doyles left County Tyrone at the time of the famine. I also hold membership in the Southern California Genealogical Society (SCGS), host of the annual Jamboree, in the National Genealogical Society (NGS) and in CGS, my local society here in Oakland, California.


Membership in the California Genealogical Society has given me more than just the "genealogical" benefits I had expected. Since I don't have California ancestry, I originally joined CGS for the surprisingly large Pennsylvania collection at the library. As I met other members I learned how much more you get from a local society. The volunteers at CGS are an amazing group of smart, talented, giving individuals and I value their friendship. The camaraderie is infectious - as I hope you will learn reading the California Genealogical Society and Library blog.

I appreciate your feedback and suggestions. Feel free to email me or leave a comment at the end of any post.

Updated 10/18/2009 for the 82nd Carnival of Genealogy.