California Genealogical Society: Blog

Recent Posts

26 September 2008

Getting to Know Me and the CGSL Blog

In the weird, wonderful world of genealogy blogging, members of the community sponsor carnivals, throw out challenges and tag one another with memes - all in an effort to encourage their fellow genea-bloggers.

Terry Thornton of Hill Country of Monroe County, Mississippi issued the Getting to Know You challenge:

The number of new blogs is increasing so rapidly that many of us are having trouble keeping up with reading and visiting. There never seems enough time to get to know new blogs much less to interact with their authors. To help out in that regard, I'm issuing a challenge to all Bloggers to help us get to know each other.

I hope that Terry doesn't mind if I stray slightly from his very specific format.

As I state in About Me, my name is Kathryn Doyle and I am a CGS board member and chair of the Marketing Committee. I started this blog ten short months ago as an experiment and I'm happy to report that so far it is a successful one. I blog exclusively for the members of the California Genealogical Society and Library. I try to use my voice and keep the rest of me out of the blog, as much as possible. (This post is obviously an exception!)

The blog's purpose is to promote the society, to advertise events and meetings, to take readers "behind the scenes" and introduce member volunteers to each other and to the world and perhaps to serve as a "how to" guide for other societies.

Here are three examples of the types of articles I blog for the society:

Roberts: What We Found
This is the second installment of a five-part series on Corporal Harold Roberts which exemplifies the team spirit behind the research done at CGS.

A Tribute to Anne Robinson
This article was written for a National Women's History Month carnival which gave me the opportunity to honor a truly dedicated volunteer. This kind of post has evolved into an on-going "Member Spotlight" series.

Digital vs. Print - Where Do You Stand?
I'll be writing more about the administrative side of the society in the future. Do inquiring minds really want to know?

I am also very fortunate to have many partners who have been willing to contribute photographs, story ideas, background information, articles and entire series (thank you Mary Mettler!) to the cause. It is an honor and a pleasure to write for so many dedicated volunteers.

Dick Rees and me - in the pink.

Photograph courtesy of Judy Bodycote.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Pretty (and handsome) in Pink"! We are not always so lavishly colored at old CGSL, but I hope this portrait will be an inspiration to us all. Delicious...and so talented, too!

--LKW

Kathryn Doyle said...

Lorna,
I knew I could count on you to comment and that you would be pleased! Thank you very much for your support and your contributions to the blog.

Jennifer said...

Kathryn, You do such a great job on this blog! As a member of CGS, I love it! It's great to see and hear about the goings-on, especially the projects the society is undertaking. Keep up the good work!!!!

Kathryn Doyle said...

Thanks, Jennifer. It is always gratifying to receive positive comments, especially from a fellow genea-blogger. I'm looking forward to our joint venture later in the month. Perhaps I will sign up for one of your consultations so you can lead me into the land of Greasemonkey!

Terry Thornton said...

KATHRYN,

Thanks for the Getting to Know Me article for the GeneaBloggers challenge --- I enjoyed learning more about the CGS&L Blog. More societies should follow your fine example and establish a greater online presence. Thanks for showing them how.

And know that when we talk again using Skype or email or chat or work on some of the joint projects we always seem to end up on that I'll think of you as the lovely lady in pink!

Thanks again,
Terry Thornton
HILL COUNTRY OF MONROE COUNTY MISSISSIPPI

Kathryn Doyle said...

Terry,
Thanks for your kind words [blushing]. Thanks for challenging us to get to know each other a little better. Now I've got to get you to teach me what you have been learning about audio files.

TK said...

I enjoyed reading this, Kathryn, and the photo made me smile.

I agree with Terry--this is a great blog, and I'd love to see more genealogy organizations establish a presence like this in the blogosphere. Nice going!